A fire early Saturday morning caused moderate damage to an unoccupied house at 924 Hustonville Road, said Danville Deputy Fire Chief Woody Ball.
A call about the fire at the one-story house owned by Chester Nicholas of Danville was received by the Danville Fire Department at 2:51 a.m., and firefighters were at the scene by 2:54 a.m., Ball said. About 20 firefighters spent three hours at the scene, he said.
Fire damage was minimal, but the house had heat and smoke damage to a hallway, bathroom, the attic, basement, and an area around a floor furnace, he said.
"Some people had done some renovation work at the house the day before, and it appears something may have been accidentally dropped into the floor furnace while they were working," Ball said. "The furnace otherwise seemed to be in good condition."