By Michael Broihier
Back-to-back fires took three Lincoln County structures Monday and Tuesday. Firefighters from all over the county rolled in to battle both blazes, but in both instances the buildings were total losses.
Monday morning bitter winds drove flames through a Dog Walk home at 1185 Harness Ridge Road, south of Crab Orchard. A neighbor called the fire in around 9:45 a.m. reporting visible flames. Though firefighters were on scene directly, the home was fully involved when they arrived at the unoccupied residence of Tim McFerron. Firefighters from Lincoln stations 1, 5 and 6, and Waynesburg and Brodhead, assisted at the scene along with East End Rescue.
Lincoln County Fire Chief Danny Glass said the cause of the fire was difficult to determine but would not rule out that a heat lamp McFerron had been using to warm frozen pipes to be the cause. It took almost six hours to declare the fire dead with no appreciable improvement in the blustery, freezing weather conditions.