James Hood of Harrodsburg was held up by highwaymen Monday night on the railroad between Junction City and Stanford. He was robbed of $65 and a gold watch. Two men were arrested and charged after being identified by Hood. They were lodged in the jail in Stanford. Hood was a soldier under Gen. Custer in the raid on Sitting Bull and his drive in Dakota in 1878. He served under Cap. Reno and was not in the immediate vicinity of the awful massacre at Little Big Horn. He remained crouched in a deep trench five days and nights without food and water to save his scalp.
75 years ago - 1934
Alvin Nugent "Bo" McMillin, former Centre College quarterback, has been assigned as head football coach at Indiana University. He currently is coach at the Kansas State College at Manhattan and will take charge of the football practice next week in Bloomington. McMillin was an All-American in 1919 and led the Colonels to a 6-0 victory over Harvard in 1921.
Work on the North Third Street sewer project resumed, then halted again. The project is under the Civil Works Administration and is scheduled to be finished by the first of April. The city of Danville also is getting things ready for work to begin on a pipeline that is to be between Herrington Lake and the local water reservoir. Work is scheduled to begin April 1.
Chester Eiford and Carl Gerlach of Danville, and Lester L. Moser of Moreland have joined the Marine Corps. Eiford is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles E. Eiford of Beatty Avenue, Gerlach is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Gerlach of North First Street, and Moser is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ira T. Moser of Moreland. They are among several new high school graduates to join the military.
Danville apparently is being omitted from the Historic American Building Survey being conducted throughout the state by a branch of the Civil Works Administration. Seventeen buildings in the state, including William Whitley House near Crab Orchard, and Shakertown Inn and Old Mud Meeting House in Mercer County, have been recorded with drawings, photographs and historical records of the architecture in each building and sent to the Congressional Library in Washington.
50 years ago - 1959
The Danville City Council agreed to overhaul the 1947 Seagrave pumper and to buy a quantity of accessories needed for the Seagrave truck. It also had first reading of an ordinance to establish a Danville City Park Board which will operate, maintain and equip parks and buildings in all city parks, and employ trained and qualified park personnel. The five-member board is to be named by the mayor after the second reading of the ordinance.
Boyle County Fire Department will soon have a new fire truck, William H. Balden, board chairman of the Fire District, announced. The bid advertisement called for a new 750-gallon per minute pumper truck. Bids will be opened March 31. The truck will be placed in Perryville. The city of Perryvillle and Perryville Lions Club offered to secure funds to enlarge the local fire station to accommodate the other truck. The fire department changes apparently came after an editorial in The Advocate asking that improvements be made to the city fire unit and mentioned a bond issue for funds for purchasing fire fighting equipment for protection of the city.
All teachers in the Danville schools will get a blanket increase in pay of $475 per nine-month year. The board agreed to begin the raise with the start of the fall semester and said it will cost an additional $50,000 to operate the school system. The board will use all capital outlay funds accumulated and a large part of those budgeted for next year in order to finance the raises.