STANFORD — A homeowner along U.S. 150 may have lost his home in a fire on Friday, but firefighters say he was lucky to escape with his life.
William Bishop, of 2212 U.S. 150 East, had left his house with his family on Friday, but they forgot something and went back for it. When Bishop tried to the side door to his house, he could feel pressure behind it preventing him from opening it. He pushed harder, and the door opened a little before slamming back in Bishop's face.
See map below
"It threw me back maybe 10, 15 feet," he said.
As Bishop stood up, the windows in the house blew out due to the fire building inside his home.
Lincoln County Fire Chief Danny Glass said Bishop was lucky he arrived when he did, and not any later.
"Had he been another minute or two later and jerked the door open, it very well could have been the last door he opened," he said. "He was very lucky."