ANGEL RIDGE — A Lincoln County man awoke Tuesday morning to find his home in flames in what likely was the first fire of the wood-burning season.
Lincoln County Fire Chief Danny Glass said Donnie Spoonamore built a fire in his wood-burning stove Monday night to take the chill off in his home at 3155 Angel Ridge Road.
The fire apparently overheated the back wall of the home during the night, setting it ablaze.
“He was sleeping on the front room on a sofa and he woke up with a fire going in the back room and got out of there,” Glass said.
Spoonamore, whom Glass described as disabled and needing a cane to walk, called in the fire about 6:50 a.m. The home is owned by Bertha Vanhook, who lives nearby, Glass said.