With funding available for design and right-of-way acquisition, members of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet made a presentation on the proposed eastern bypass to the Nicholasville Planning and Zoning Commission Monday night.
“It’s back on track so to speak,” Robert W. Nunley, branch manager with the cabinet, said. “It’s been around — we had a public hearing back in 2003, and there has not been any major activity since then. Now we’re starting back up again; we have some funding in place.”
The project that proposes to alleviate traffic congestion throughout Nicholasville will be moving forward beginning with right-of-way acquisition in spring 2012, Nunley said.
A map of the proposed route cuts through several housing areas, but cabinet officials have plans for helping homeowners.
“Any homes that are going to be impacted by the project will be acquired, and those homeowners will be relocated,” said Natasha F. Lacy, public information officer for the cabinet. “This is the normal process of highway construction projects.”