CRAB ORCHARD — A family that had just settled in to their recently purchased home lost it and all they owned in a fire Thursday morning.
Freddie and Amanda Carman’s home at 1970 Ky. 39 about a mile south of Crab Orchard was gutted by flames.
Freddie Carman said his wife was home with son Alex, 3 — the youngest of the couple’s four children — when she noticed smoke in Alex’s room.
“She saw the smoke, grabbed him and ran out,” Freddie Carman said. “By the time she got outside, she couldn’t even see in the living room” that had filled with smoke.
A clothes dryer in Alex’s room was operating when Amanda Carman noticed the smoke, but Freddie Carman said it wasn’t known if the dryer sparked the fire, or even if the fire started in Alex’s room at the rear of the house.
Lincoln County Fire Chief Danny Glass said this morning the cause of the fire is undetermined but it appears to have started in the back room, possibly by the dryer.