First Baptist Church, 349 W. Broadway, Harrodsburg, has been around since 1840, according to a church history compiled when the church celebrated its 125th anniversary.
The church was first named African Baptist Church after it was organized by the white Baptists in the South District. The new congregation worshipped in a small brick building on the site where the current church stands.
The Rev. Charles Clark, one of the first to lead the church, was pastor of the church when the name was changed to Centennial Baptist Church.
In 1887, a portion of the congregation left to follow the Rev. Charles Davis and organized a new Centennial Baptist. After Davis left, pastors were the Revs. Underwood, H.C. Mitchell, George Mitchell, George Moore and George Miller.
In 1915, when the Rev. John N. Smothers was pastor, a new Sunday School annex was built. C.C. Ellis became pastor in 1935, and was followed by Amos R. Lasley when the church liquidated its debts and established a savings account.