The “careless use of fireworks” by teenagers at a Nicholasville residence caused a house fire at 209 Christa Lane in the Orchard subdivision Sunday around 1:30 p.m., according to a fire department incident report.
Nicholasville firefighters arrived at the house and found heavy smoke coming out from three sides of the building, including flames emanating from the garage area of the house.
The fire extended to both cars that were parked in the driveway.
“I don’t know if they were supervised or not, but this is just another example of the hidden dangers of fireworks, and a lot of people underestimate them,” deputy fire chief Kevin Baker said. “These people lost their vehicles and their house and all of that because of fireworks.”
When fire crews entered the house to begin battling the blaze, they encountered “thick, black smoke with zero visibility,” the fire report read.
According to witnesses, the fireworks detonated on the exterior of the house, entered the garage, which started the fire. The blaze was further fueled by cans of gasoline and other flammable liquids stored in the garage.