Advertisement

Updated: Authorities discover body in Danville fire

April 24, 2013|By KENDRA PEEK | kpeek@amnews.com

An overnight fire destroyed a house at 301 Venetian Way in Bluegrass Estates. After careful investigation, a body was discovered, Danville Police Chief Tony Gray announced during a press conference at about 11 a.m. Wednesday.

According to Gray, the body was being sent to the state medical examiner's office for a possible identification. One of the residents of the home, Margaret Libby Moore, 37, has not been located.

The fire was reported by a neighbor at about 12:45 a.m.

Danville Fire Chief Woody Ball said when crews arrived on scene, the house was three-quarters of the way to fully involved and the roof had collapsed, forcing firefighters to remain outside.

“It could have went undiscovered for some time,” Ball said, noting the time and a general lack of traffic as potential reasons for the fire going unnoticed.

According to the Danville police blotter for Tuesday, officers were called to the home twice, once about 8:30 a.m. for a domestic dispute and a second time at 9:35 p.m. to assist in issuing emergency protective order paperwork.

The Kentucky State Police arson investigator were called to the scene, along with the state fire marshal.

Atmos Energy was called to the house, when a potential gas leak was discovered; however, Ball explained that the gas caught on fire after the house began burning. It was not anticipated to affect any of the neighboring houses. Kentucky Utilities was contacted to shut off power to the house as the electric meter exploded when the home caught fire. The structure has been deemed a total loss, authorities said.

Boyle County Fire Department also reported to the scene. Ball shared about 65 responders were on scene between the two departments.

Advertisement
Central Kentucky News Articles
|
|
|